Thursday 12 September 2013

United States of... Estonia

After three days in New York I flew onward to Europe and then Tartu, Estonia.

The next day as I explored the lakeside woods near Võru, every young oak sapling I found became a marker on my path, leading me to the deer I startled and the crow who flapped into the canopy, crying, "There's a man in the forest!"
I spent the following afternoon on a tiny jetty that reached out over the surface of the lake, where waterskimmers darted between the lilypads, bejewelled dragonflies soared from the reeds to investigate my presence and the occasional flash of silver light came from below when the sun caught the side of a fish.
Eventually I made my way back to the capital city for a few hours frolicking around the old town of Tallinn, where I took great delight in a reunion with one of my favourite trees in the world (below right).






1 comment:

Chrissy said...

Yay - so nice to be reading your blog again. Can't wait for, no doubt, many great stories. Enjoy - but take care of yourself (old mother hen talking!)